Sunday, June 24, 2012

halfway

I've now been in Thailand for as long as I have remaining.. in other words, I'm halfway there..

Honestly it feels like I just got here yesterday, in a whirlwind of culture shock, absolute uncertainty, even fear, then soon to follow just love, of this place.

Anyway, this weekend nothing was planned as far as the university program goes, so most of us went and stayed a few nights in a cute hotel in the city. (Thank you super cheap deals at agoda.com!) All sorts of adventures fell through, which of course led to others, but I still think it was a great, mostly relaxing weekend.. lots of walking, pool dipping, laying on the comfy bed in AC room, countless meals and mango smoothies at our good friend Pi Thi's cafe and guest house.

I still fail at taking more photos, only a few from the weekend, but I am trying to do better, mainly just to have photos to remember little moments here that I can personally look back on. This place changes me everyday. I can't imagine not having come, and allow myself to soak in every moment. I'm no expert on this place, but I'm glad I've been taught to be a curious, respectful traveler. Each culture has a uniqueness that we cannot and should not change, only embrace as we try to understand.

I don't quite know how to explain it all, perhaps you know the feeling.. the people, the smells, the sounds, all these scattered memories and little moments of Chiang Mai not only can never be erased from memory, but they have been imprinted on my soul. I suppose tangible photos of some little moments will suffice to tell the rest.

Stay adventurous.
I live for the markets. 
Backpack handmade and sewn by Hmong villagers. Love at first sight.
Poolside reading "Survival In The Killing Fields". I highly recommend it. The pool and book.
Favorite secondhand bookstore. And new kitty friend.

1 comment:

Kirsten Wiemer said...

i know you're having fun, but i'll be more excited to have you back here. a room with AC sounds just as fantastic to me, we do not have AC in our house, everyday, i die a little bit, or maybe loose weight.
i'm glad that we are both still making kitty friends, nothings changed. haha.