Wednesday, May 23, 2012

duck, duck, goose

This past week has been pretty relaxed and fun... Have I mentioned how awesome my job is? Shout out to Pinterest, Nordstrom, and JCrew for some inspiration on color and design.

Tonight, Jenna and I went up to a children’s home, where we will start teaching English there once or twice a week. We met the couple who started it through people we work with at the center everyday. Teaching at the children’s home will be on Monday and/or Wednesday nights, and tonight was a lot of fun getting to know everyone and playing games. Most of these kids live there because they have been orphaned by parents who died from HIV/AIDS. There are around 15 or so kids there, and they split into two groups, I teach the younger ones who are about 7 to 11 years old, and Jenna has the older group. They are at school all day which is why we come in the evenings for dinner and then teach for 2 hours.

I was laughing most of the night, first, because when we got there we had no clue what to do and hardly anyone spoke English, so we had to just improv and go with it, and second, because the kids are just so funny. We had a blast. Seriously, these kids are so stinkin cute and fun. Tonight we went over the ABC’s, which they seem to be pretty good at already, and I taught them some games like duck duck goose. To be honest, I never really saw why people wanted to become teachers, but tonight was a lot of fun so I think I’m more open to that now... At least that is good since I will probably teach public health related classes sometime in my career. The kids are so sweet and eager to learn from us farangs... When we first got there we ate dinner with John and his wife (John is from a hill tribe out here), and it was so funny to see the kids peaking through the window to stare at us, and saying we were beautiful. Man, they really sure know how to make you feel better about your dirty, smelly self!

Also, on our way up tonight, a massive rain storm came in... It was coming down so hard we could barely see out the window sometimes! As it was letting up we were arriving at the home, which is much more secluded in the hills... It is one of the most gorgeous places I’ve seen. The wetness on all of the green trees, grass, and gravel, with the sun shining through as it’s setting, I should have taken a picture but I was too in awe and content with life to disrupt the moment.

Anyway, I’m excited to go back, except I’m currently trying to fight off the carsickness which seems to so easily find me here... Lots of bumpy, windy roads makes it real easy to succumb. I better get my act together, I can only have so many tummy problems! But aside from car sickness time to time, I have been feeling good.. The food is growing on me too, except I still use rice and chicken as a staple but hey it’s tasty!

Here’s to sleeping off the car sickness and to another good day! Sa wad de ka

No comments: