Saturday, June 2, 2012

get lost

Picture this. Amanda and I on a tuk tuk in the middle of nowhere, lost for 2 and a half hours, wondering when we'll ever get home....

It all started when we tried to catch a rot dang home from the market tonight, when the trucks should still be running, but they like to go home whenever they feel like it... We walked around towards san sai hoping to hitch hike.. fail.. I will succeed someday! And just after we called our teacher, a tuk tuk shows up willing to take us to san sai.. or so we thought.. apparently san sai sounds like sunshine village, a random apartment complex in the middle of who knows where. Many calls to our host parents were made to help talk to the driver... Amanda's dad was drunk and slurring his words (very helpful...) and after several calls to my mom, Amanda made it home and then a good 30 or 45 min later I did as well. It was a long long detour and adventure, and we made many wrong turns and went in many circles, but I still am thanking the heavens we got home safe and sound!!

Language is an essential piece to our being. No, wait, communication is essential. We were failing to communicate on all ends... it has never felt so frustrating to try to talk to someone when communication is the only barrier between you and your home, very late on a Saturday night. Also, we drove by countless brothels which are adorned with Christmas lights, and I got by far the craziest looks from people so far. Still, I held on hope that we'll get home, it will just take time and patience.. something I struggle to possess. But we made it, had a few laughs on the way, and I've never been more excited to see my home and to get into bed and SLEEP!
Needless to say it's been a crazy, but fun weekend.. with a cooking class today, YUM, another massage, and some night market shopping, I am just plain ol pooped!

Also, some of us have been talking about our plans in August when we can travel, and I am realizing what a big imagination I have. Trust me, you don't even want to know... I want to fly home over Europe and stop in Turkey, Spain, etc, literally everywhere.. but this thing called money becomes an issue.. if anyone has any good southeastern Asia suggestions that are within a reasonable budget we are interested!! So far we will hit up some southern beaches (not Phuket, time and time again I hear of how dirty and touristy it is, ick) but places like Krabi and Ko Phi Phi.. so any other advice is welcome!!

Remember, just get lost*. It fills your yearning soul for adventure real quick..
*in a country where you don't speak the language, have a drunk dad on the phone, and brothels lined up

No comments: