Friday, June 1, 2012

lost bike rides and baby news

This afternoon I got off work early and since it's Friday and all I felt like I needed to get out! At least for the afternoon. I texted Britt who lives near Bo Sang Umbrella market and we decided to meet there and shop around, get ice cream, etc. I decided to ride my bike there since my host mom told me it's only 7 kilometers, which is like 4 or 5 miles.. not so bad to bike.
So my mom drew me out a little map, pretty simple directions, and I was on my way. First of all, I rode on major highways next to cars, buses, and motorcycles and I swore I was going to get run over. I just stayed on the edge of the slow lane and I was good. But I had to turn at a couple lights, which meant crossing all 4 busy lanes, then I'd just chill in the turn lane with all the cars and such.. boy what a sight. I've gotten used to the stares because I'm a white farang, but never as many as this! What kind of white girl rides her bike on these busy streets in a non touristy area?? I must have looked like a nut. Then I get going on this last road which took a good 30 min alone, and of course the sun decided to beat down on me and I forgot to fill my water before I left.. death by dehydration, anyone? haha nah well almost an hour later and several calls to Britt ("I don't know where I am!!") I MADE IT. Bless the Umbrella village and air conditioned 711s. Naturally, my face looked like a tomato and my hair all a mess, as if I had just gotten in a fight... with a bike... and it won... Quite an adventure to lose your way on a bike in the midday sun in a country where you don't know the language, but it made for exactly that.. an adventure.
I swore I wasn't going to ride my bike home but after an hour or so I felt like I had enough energy back, and the sun was starting to dip and the weather cooled off. Luckily the ride felt easier on the way home... and lo and behold I'm back. I later looked up on a map exactly how far I had gone and I could have basically gone to Chiang Mai city and back in the time it took me to get to Bo Sang. HA. What a joke! There's my exercise for the, um, year. Gonna be sore tomorrow!
Mai pen rai! Maybe the bike ride will keep me from getting huge from all the junk I eat, and I got to see some beautiful scenery on the way and meet some funny people. Really though, three weeks in and I still find myself in awe at the beauty of this country, the happiness of these people largely in poverty, and their great generosity.

"It's only 7 kilometers..." HA. more like 20 miles in the midday heat

PS Right before I embarked on this naive journey, I got several emails from my family saying that my sister is going into labor! Yup, she's having a baby today!! I'm gonna be an aunt... and have the cutest niece ever!! Pics soon :)

No comments: