Sunday, May 27, 2012

Thailand has my heart

 


This past weekend was a great adventure! We took a day trip down to Sukhothai, which is about a 4 hour drive south of Chiang Mai. We loaded up into awesome air conditioned astrovans at 430 am (A.M.!) and were off. Lots of talking, rocking out to teeny bopper music ('call me, maybe' anyone?) and some sleeping in between made the trip quite eventful.. Anyway we arrived and this place is beautiful. Basically like a miniature Ankor Wat, Cambodia (which I'd love to see someday, maybe this summer) but this little town is just green, lush trees with incredible old ruins from the ancient Sukhothai city. Riding bikes around the city to each place was definitely a highlight, because having the wind in our faces cooled us off considerably. Especially since this place is one of the hottest places in Thailand.... and my teacher kept saying how this was one of the coolest days he's been, most times it's 20 degrees hotter... which I can't even imagine!
Needless to say it was a fantastic trip, and you can't forget the countless potty breaks we had to take on the drives, which seemed to subside once we got there because everything we drank was pretty much sweated out! So weird how that works. And the worst is when you go to use the bathroom and it's a squatter toilet (which I think I've mastered pretty well), but you forget toilet paper! Ummm awkward... and then the butt sprayers? Not quite sure the most efficient way to use those yet...
Anyway, the trip can be best summed up in pictures, so here's a few samples to keep readers sane.

Also, just soak in how beautiful we are looking in Thailand with sweat and hot tan lines... and it's only 2 weeks in, sweet! *sarcasm* I'm actually quite proud of my little chaco tan line so far, let's see how crazy it can get by August #GoBigOrGoHome right?
Everyday is a new adventure as I become more comfortable with my surroundings and learn more about myself than I ever have.
Thailand has really become home to me. It is home. I am home.

No comments: