Saturday, July 14, 2012

Lamyai

I love meeting people out here, especially local Thai's. Today, on my rot kio ride home from the city, I had my weekend backpack with me, my purse, and then a bag full of a local fruit, lamyai, on my lap. This small old man sat across from me and noted that I had this fruit with me, seemingly surprised that a farang would buy it from the local market - I had never heard of or seen this fruit until I came here. I told him back in what little Thai I know that yes, it is Lamyai, and I think it's very delicious (something like, 'chai, aroy mak mak'). He, and the others on the truck got a kick out of my attempt to speak Thai, which of course was followed by many other Thai phrases quickly being said, I hardly caught any of it.
He spoke a tiny bit of English, so we tried (and mostly struggled) to communicate, but it was a lot of fun. He was so thrilled that I was even trying to speak Thai, and everytime I said a phrase in response to him he would reach over and shake my hand in delight, beaming from ear to ear with what few teeth he has left. The rest of the ride was spent laughing in our attempts to communicate, but enjoying it nonetheless.
I wish I were more eloquent with my words and in describing this small, seemingly insignificant event, but I just had to share this example of the kindness of Thais. They are so open and happy, and I will probably forget many details of little random moments like this that happen each day, but never how they made me felt. It just made my day to meet this kind, frail stranger who had such an enthusiasm for life, and for no other reason than the fact that he is a farmer!
I don't want to lose my passion for what life has to offer when I return to mundane tasks back at school.. luckily I will have so many great people to remember and learn from.

No comments: