Monday, July 9, 2012

Laos love

Wow. Laos was incredible. A fun, relaxing week spent on the Mekong River, then 3 nights in Luang Prabrang. I cannot quite explain it, but I honestly was in awe the entire time. The most beautiful, clear blue waterfalls, walking under a canopy of trees, and when the butterflies passed me by I had to honestly consider if I had died and gone to heaven.

Laos had formerly been colonized by the French, so we munched on countless baguettes while watching the local Laotians ride their bikes with parasols in one hand. It looked quite like France and Thailand had a love child. Too funny.

It was also a great week spending time with the girls in our group, having impromptu dance parties in Pak Beng, making up the craziest scenarios, almost dying of heat stroke during the blackout one afternoon, the list goes on.

It was interesting to me to recognize my reaction when we flew back into Chiang Mai yesterday. I had a great time in Laos, but was excited to get back home and see my host family again. I had arrived in the very same airport just 2 months before and it was all so foreign to me, I was pretty nervous. But this time around, I was beaming to be back home (or, we'll say second home, California always has my heart). I hope I have similar feelings when I get back to the states in a month. I cannot believe I have such little time left, and no doubt it will be difficult to leave this place I have called home for some time, and even harder to leave so many people I have grown to love. But I still am excited to reunite with family and friends, granted it will take some adjusting, and I know that I am not coming back home the same person as I was when I left.

My dad mentioned during one of our skype calls that this is the happiest he has ever seen me. I love that he recognized that. I am incredibly happy out here. Granted there are difficult times and the heat can be uncomfortable, especially when sick, but the experiences I am having are irreplaceable. I am learning so much about myself. He also asked if I will get bored back home and at school, doing the usual mundane tasks that life consists of... I did not hesitate when I said YES. But now that I think about it, I will do my best to keep life exciting back there and learn new things, not just in school, but more so about life and myself. I am yearning to explore. The world, especially. But once I return I know I will be more limited, but still I am excited to explore Utah more... camping, particularly. It will keep me sane out there.

No comments: