Saturday, August 11, 2012

there's no place like home

I am loving every minute at home. It still feels a bit surreal that I've finally made it back. Three months felt so short, yet so long.
The flight was long, the only time I really got any sleep was on the floor of the Singapore airport, but now I'm happily writing from the comforts of my own bed. Granted it's 7 in the morning and I've already been awake for a few hours (thanks jet lag), despite my nyquil efforts last night... I've developed a cold of sorts, I think my throats not used to the dry airplane air and AC. Anyway, these are just minor details. I am home and it feels great.
My mom, sister, and 2 month old niece greeted me at LAX, and I think I was too in shock to be home to cry. I have just been so happy and felt so lucky. My life is truly blessed, how can I complain.. especially with all the excess comforts I have here in America and at my home.
I see through a new lens now, or at the very least, it has been altered by my experience this summer. I'm not even quite sure I can put it into words. This has been one of the most difficult experiences, but oh so rewarding.
Many people regard travel as something glamorous, with beautiful pictures of beaches, temples, mosques, cities... new places to set our sights on. Granted, it is wonderful to experience a new place, travel is anything but glamorous. Unless you have the dough, but then you are isolated at a resort and are too comfortable to immerse yourself in the culture.
If you have the chance, travel. Do it. You will NOT regret it. It will be absolutely nothing how you expect, but so much more. You will be pushed to your breaking point, and then beyond. You will learn so much about yourself, and surprise yourself. It's beyond me how else to describe this sensation. Perhaps "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times". Mostly, the best though.
As much as I love travel, there truly is no place quite like home. I am so happy to be reunited with my family, to spend my sleepless mornings with my smiley niece, and to soon see many dear friends.
God bless America.

No comments: